Friday, June 16, 2006

Bilangue.


Felix goes to the Halte Garderie two mornings a week (the French version of daycare). Those mornings are heavenly for me as I finally have a chance to do something 'pusher-free'. And Felix loves it too (although it did take some time to get used to it and we nearly had to stop it altogether).

However I have been worried recently how he was handling the french given that we only speak english at home. Was he struggling and feeling isolated and alone? Two mornings of hearing french for three hours is not a lot in the grand scheme of things.

So when I picked him up at noon on Thursday I asked the Directrice how she thought Felix's comprehension was and to my surprise (and relief) she said that Felix had no problem understanding. In fact he was perfectly bilingual. He always gave the impression of understanding exactly what they were saying to him and he usually responds to their requests...sit down, be gentle, come here etc.

I felt an enormous amount of relief.

Strangely enough today I have noticed that he is actually already saying some words in french 'assis' (sit down), 'merci' (thankyou), 'dodo' (sleep) and I am sure there are a few more that I have yet to discover.

I am so proud of our little bilingual man.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mummy could be proud of her husband being bilingual too !

Anonymous said...

Of course Mummy is more than proud of both her boys and not only for their bilingual skills!